Sunday 23 November 2014

We all have to start somewhere.

Everything we do begins with the first step, our progress is often slow but if we are determined and strong headed and passionate enough about something we will all end up where we want to go. Sometimes we stress over the little things and let the big things slide its human nature. Its not easy to see some people sail through life as you struggle with work, money, weight whatever it may be. You watch as your friends glide through life as you are struggling to take the first step.

I can tell you first hand life is not easy but if you persevere you will end up where you want to be. It is ok to dream dreams but to chase them is often the hard part. I moved to boarding school at 15 to improve my academics and get me the points to study the university degree I had so long wanted, Podiatry. 8 weeks into boarding school on a cold Friday evening I arrived off the bus and declared to my parents I was never going back. After a week of torment, tears and stress I was back in my original school, a decision I would live to regret the rest of my life.

I got through the leaving cert with minimal study, and partying every weekend. I thought I had my life planned out and I would jump into Podiatry  with no problem at all. Until results day, as I slid the paper out of the brown envelope tears slowly slid down my pasty face, the grades were not as expected and my worst fear was here. What do I do next? Where do I go?

I was lucky enough to scrape into Computer Science in NUI Galway and deep down knowing it wasn't the right course for me I took it craving the university lifestyle, I did however manage to sail through first year going out 2+ nights a week plus the occasional Saturday, my grades were fantastic and everyone thought I had finally found my niche, everyone except me. I hated the course and although I made some of my best friends in my first year of University I knew I had to get out of the course. I pleaded my parents to let me drop out but they forced me to stay and promised me if I got my exams I could swap course.

I immediately began to search Podiatry, I emailed NUI Galway to see if I could transfer, the answer was no, several emails and three phone calls later the answer was still no. I knew this wasn't the end. I was determined to get onto my dream course and I was not willing to stop for anyone. I searched Podiatry in England and emailed all 13 Universities, I got in touch with podiatrists here in Ireland and wrote my personal statement. I applied to five Universities in the UK and after various Skype and face to face interviews I was offered an unconditional offer at all five universities. I was over the moon my life was finally coming together and my dream was in reach, providing I passed my summer exams (my parents rules).

I managed an impressive 2:1 in my summer exams and suddenly my dream became a lot more real. I secured my place Salford University after speaking to many Health Care professionals who had studied there or who had recommend the University. I booked my accommodation, my one way ferry and on the 10th of September D-day arrived, my phone was inundated with good luck messages and phone calls, I was nervous, scared, frightened but most of all I was excited for my new adventure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment